cracked gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!
MY HOUSE IS OVER 120 YEARS OLD. THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD REMOVED THE CHIMNEY BREAST FROM THE FIRST FLOOR BEDROOM AND LOFT. DURING THE BAD WEATHER LAST YEAR WET PATCHES BEGAN TO APPEAR ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CHIMNEY BREAST IN THE LIVING ROOM (WHICH IS STILL PRESENT). I HAVE SINCE FOUND A CRACK IN THE LOFT WALL (GABLE END) WHICH RUNS ALONG THE MORTAR OF THE OLD CHIMNEY BREAST BRICKS. NO BRICKS ARE CRACKED, JUST THE MORTAR. BUT DAYLIGHT CAN BE SEEN THROUGH IT. THE OUTSIDE WALL IS RENDERED AND A HAIRLINE CRACK CORRESPONDS WITH THE LOFT WALL CRACK. IVE TRIED SEALING THE RENDER WITH MASTIK, ITS IMPROVED SLIGHTLY BUT ONE SIDE OF CHIMNEY BREAST IS STILL GETTING VERY WET WHEN IT RAINS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can I just clarify something. do you still have a chimney outside with pots on.

apologies catlad, no pot on roof i assume that was also removed by the previous owner.

well a few pictures will help but assuming it was slated over correctly then it looks like the render.

Sponsored Links
That sound a little worrying. Do you mean you can see daylight through the crack? that would imply a fair bit of movement of something.

Some photo's would help as Catlad suggested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back