Large fuel tank discovered buried under garden shed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't lived in my house long (end terrace built in 1892) and decided to make the most of the weather this weekend by clearing the back garden. Overgrown was an understatement!

I discovered and took down an old shed that was full to the ceiling of rotten sheet materials, old lino and vinyl floor tiles. However, during the clear-out I was surprised to find an antique petrol pump, oil pump and ventilation pipe hidden under the mess.

After digging approximately 1 foot down where the shed stood, I unearthed evidence of a buried fuel tank. I found a refuelling cap and, after freeing it up with WD-40, fed a wooden baton down into it; the tank is 6 feet deep with roughly 6 inches of fuel still in it.

I've had a chat with my elderly neighbours and apparently somewhere down the line the previous owners grandparents operated a light haulage business from the back garden. We're talking many decades ago; pre-WWI.

So, what do I do now? I'd like the tank removed as I planned to build a garage over where it lies next year. The shed stood next to my existing garage (an old home-made timber structure) and I think half of the tank rests under the garage floor which is concrete slab. I'd guess at it being 8-12 feet in length.

Who do I approach to have it removed? How much roughly is this going to cost me? There was no record of the tank being there when I bought the house. A friend has said today that it may be possible to get it removed through indemnity insurance.

If anyone can offer me some advice, it'd be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if it was petrol, it is very liable to explode when cut up. You can fill it with steam or water to reduce the risk

Thanks for the reply.

I have considered taking it out myself. My thinking was to fill it with water and then break it up with a sledgehammer and grinder. If the housing for the refuelling cap is anything to go by, it seems to be made of some sort of rust-resistant cast iron.

However, concerns over explosion, poisoning, contamination and upsetting the neighbours and authorities are still putting me off attempting it myself. I think going through the correct channels, whatever they are, is the way forward on this one.

im thinking you may have to consult your local council etc.
because of possible implications of health and saftey i:e leakage into the water table etc ???.

Sponsored Links
Pump it out and ventilate, dig up when preparing footings or fill with concrete.

From a totally selfish point of view, I think the first thing you need to do is get some photos up of the pump and tank fittings!

If it is a rivoted iron tank, iron lasts a very long time without rusting any where near as fast as modern steels. When you say theres 6inchs of fuel in it, is it obviously fuel (smell/feel/etc) or could it mainly be water? While I couldnt condone it from a H&S point of view, If you tie a rag to the stick, take it a way from the tank, and try and light it...

Depending on what height the top is and where you want your garage, pumping it out and filling it with concrete might be a alternative to removing it, but if you have indeminity insurance it would certainly make sense in my mind to make some enquires.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back