fuel oil tank removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody am very new to this site but have seen some very good suggestions so far so would like help or advice for the following problem

Have just started cutting back a large area very overgrown unused side garden and have discovered an old 800l green plastic oil fuel tank. I would like to clean it out, remove it and use it as a very large water but is this possible? If yes then how do I go about it? There is a small amount of oil/sludge in the bottom but very little and it is easy to drain as pipe still in place and is raised of the ground by about a foot. Any suggestions or comments would be very gratefully accepted I know I can get a professional company to do it but would like to keep the cost as low as possible
thank you

Sponsored Links
you'll probably need a professional anyway to get rid of the sludge.. I think you need a license to dump it.. or maybe that's just america ( got to love T.O.H. )..

Thanks but the amount of sludge is not more than 5l so can take to tip in a container
just need to clean the tank to watering quality

its going to need a lot of cleaning and rinsing to get it clean enough to use it for water storage

Sponsored Links
that's what I meant..

the sludge is only a tiny amount of the waste from it..

all of the water and cleaning agents need to be collected and disposed of too, you can't just rinse it all down the drain..

after much googling, the concensus is that you'll never get it clean enough to store water in.. there will always be traces of diesel in it.

you can buy IBC's for not much money and as long as they were for food stuffs then they're ok for garden water..

Thanks for all the advice
It was just an idea as it is here but will phone council and see about removal.
IBC sounds like a good alternative

they're 1000L too.. so you're up 20% on storage.. :)

they're on e-bay for £30-40 quid, but then you've got to get it home..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back