Help with old flymo petrol mower model l47 pilot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have inherited an old flymo l47 pilot which is anon starter. I really know very little but would love to be able to get it going
it had and was advertised with a broken pull start which even i could manage to sort out
I have put new fuel in the tank as i though it best with the correct mixture but it just will no start even using the drill method to save my poor muscles.
next i put in a new sparky and syringed a little fuel in before putting the spark plug in and it fired then died.
Next I removed the air filter (which was also shot) and squirted a little fuel into the carb and again it fired up and again it died.Each time you add a little fuel fuel it will fire which makes me believe there is nothing wrong with the electrics.
I am now wondering what else to do as I don't think there is any fuel getting through from the tank although the tank and fuel line is ok.
As in my name I don't know very much but think it maybe a carb problem (which i don't think you can now get replacements).
if the worse scenario crops up and it is the carb I have a couple of questions can the carb be replaced with any type that will fit or as I have about 3 lawnmowers all briggs and stratton is it possible ton replace the whole engine, I would rather have the original working though without having to bodge it and possible loose a limb :):).
Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The Tecumseh carb is dead easy to sort, you'll need a can of carb cleaner of course!
The float bowl can be drained by pressing the drain valve upwards (spring loaded) and the rubber primer button shoots a blast of air across the main jet, allowing a cold start.
If you get stuck, you'll probably get a cheap replacement from GHS Ltd.
John :)

thanks for the reply have done all that still fails contacted ghs ltd no luck with them looks like its off to the tip the carb is obsolete now so i think so will be the mower

I have had problems starting the Tecumseh Flymo , by accident I discovered that if I stood the machine on each side for a few seconds it would start and run perfectly . I presume it had either air locked or the float had trapped in the wrong position .

Thank you John . I had wondered what their purpose was. but they seem to be getting a little delicate and I hardly like to touch them.

I have three Flymo's , one I bought , two I was given subject to a donation to the local Church . I use them to cut grass in the church yard . Two have Tecumseh engines and they are both working. One uses almost twice as much fuel as the other one , the main jet has been mutilated on the the thirsty one ,and I feel I could do a lot of damage taking it out, so I am inclined leave it alone . The third machine has a JLO engine which needs a new plug lead , it is a different kind of job fitting one if they are still available. One the Tecumseh it is just under the engine cover and easily got at , but on the JLO it is under the flywheel .

So any advice on the JLO would be appreciated.

Syd

JLO Rockwell.....now that really is a blast from the past, it must be 40 years since I’ve seen one.
Anyway, as the ignition system plus coil is under the flywheel it may indeed have contact breaker points - no matter, the flywheel has to come off.
No doubt there are proper extractors but usually there’s some end float on the crankshaft that we can use to our advantage.
So - undo the flywheel nut, then push some slim timber wedges underneath the flywheel so the end float is taken up....tap them gently with a hammer.
Then, its flywheel nut back on, and a swift hard blow with a hammer onto the nut usually jumps the flywheel free.
Pictures could help if you can sort some!
John :)

Thank you John , I will give that a try . I have a garage contact who will likely have a puller that would do the job , but that is a forty mile round trip . I will let you know how I lucky I am with it . Syd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back