Chainsaw oil puddle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
10 years ago I bought the Alpina C38 chainsaw to cut down a few trees in the garden. Since then it’s lived in the shed untouched. The other day I got it out and had a smell of the fuel of which didn’t really smell of anything.

I gave the rope a pull & it started & ran fine “WOW”

I dumped the fuel mix and replaced with new. Used it yesterday for an hour & did t miss a beat.

My question is when I unscrewed the fuel cap there was a fine spray of fuel as i unscrewed it.
Any advice about this ?
I mean none of my other tools do this.

Secondly this morning there was a very small puddle of red oil below the chainsaw.
I see a tank for oil of which I assume must lubricate the chain etc so does the oil get flicked into the unit then drip down once stood or is there a leak ?

Any advice please.
Thanks.

Attachments

• E5E1DE45-FD71-4FE3-87E0-D0583BA1FDC0.jpeg
    E5E1DE45-FD71-4FE3-87E0-D0583BA1FDC0.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
I've no idea about the fuel but my chainsaw, a completely different model, leaks the oil which lubricates the chain if I leave it standing for long periods with the chain oil tank full.

It's HOT! Fuel in the tank will expand so when you loosen the cap having been left for a long time I'd expect a short spray of fuel. Chainsaw fuel tanks are not normally vented as most people expect but have a one way valve to admit air but not vent out wards as the machine can used at any angle.

more seriously is your comment and surprise about the chain oil - I get the impression that you haven't ever filled the chain oil tank! Chain oil is pressure fed into the chain - a very small amount but is pumped onto the chain. The oil tank must be filled every time the fuel tank is filled. Yes you will see oil drip from the area of the chain drive for a while after the engine is stopped as that is where the chain is lubricated.

Finally, make sure you keep the chain sharp and tight. Make sure the chain brake STOPS the chain when triggered!

For your own personal safety get some proper safety clothing.

Ok
Now explained I understand.
I’ve never filled the tank.

Yesterday cut some logs by hand then used the chainsaw.
Miles easier & quicker.
I’ve only got helmet / visor / ear defenders at present but looking out for trousers now.

The brake also works.

Sponsored Links
Always stand to the side of the saw when in use. It may save you vital bits and pieces.
Kevlar gloves are also a good investment. The visor should be a safety impact visor not just a protector visor. i.e. it must be able to stand up to high impact rather than bits of flying wood chips.

Now purchased steal toe boots & chaps.
Still there is a puddle of bar oil getting bigger when i lift it off the cardboard.
Will pop cover off later to see where its coming from

The oil is pumped to a hole that connects with the chain bar - it doesn't matter which way round it's fitted. The oil then makes it's way onto the chain where it does it's job.
A certain amount of oil loss is an occupational hazard!
John :)

Yes I understand from previous member above.
Looking at the chain to be honest for what oil is in the cardboard I would say it’s probably not oiling it or not as much as it should be.

Just found a pdf picture of the exploded parts so should now be able to see what needs to come off.

I think i found the issue.
Looking from under the chainsaw i can see a black pipe which pushes onto a black plastic part.
I can see that this pipe has 2 small clips on it which is the issue i believe.
Reason being why not just the 1 clip ? push the pipe on the plastic part then fit the 1 clip.
This looks like the pipe may have been cut & a joiner fitted hence the 2 clips.

What annoys me is this was purchased new from a machinery shop just along the road.

So how do i tackle getting to this piece.
Do i take the chain & bar off or do i take the handle off ?

Looking at the pdf file i would say its the part arrowed.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2716.jpg
    2716.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2718.jpg
    2718.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
When the saw is running and the blade rotating you should see a fine spray of oil coming off the end of the bar.....some machines have an adjustable pump, most dont.
Your pump is driven by a nylon worm which is supplying oil all the time the machine is running - some, like the Stihl are driven only when the centrifugal clutch is driven.
I can’t see any reason for 2 clips but it shouldn’t do any harm unless it is kinking the rubber tubing.
Check for oil delivery with the chain bar off, and the engine running.....you’ll see the oil being delivered through a drilling if all is well.

Ive got it apart now and attached photos.
On the lower end of the oil pump is a short length of black rubber hose.
Its say 3 inches long & just pushes onto the oil pump.
The other end pushes onto a plastic joiner piece & held by a coil of wire,doesnt feel tight at all and was able to pull it off with ease.
The other side of this joiner pipe is the oil filter.
This pops into the tank & held in place by a spring clip / screw.
This wasnt a very tight fit in the tank either.

Ive located a new piece of pipe but dont seen to see a filter etc.
Do you recognise the filter by the photo which might be used on another chainsaw.

Im happy to just order / fit the new piece of pipe "oil pump to filter" but wanted to make sure the seal of the oil filter grommet to the tank was tight.

Attachments

• 2719.jpg
    2719.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2720.jpg
    2720.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 58
I don't recognise the filter, but I can't see any need to replace it anyway - just give it a clean in white spirit or whatever. The seal is probably an O ring, maybe a smear of blue Hylomar would help stick it in if you think it is loose.
As for the rubber pipes, just use a couple of turns of 30 amp fuse wire and spin the ends with pliers - they will hold on just fine.

Last Saturday I had the chainsaw apart to look at this oil leak.
The cause was the rubber oil pipe that fits into the oil tank. This was fixed by using some silicone and pushing the pipe into its hole fitting in the tank. There then is a clip that fits around the pipe & held by a screw. Checking it the next day there was no oil beneath. I then turned it around 180 degrees & left it all day. Same again no leakage. I then angled the bar to the sky slightly & left it all day. Then angled the rear of the saw to the sky & also left it all day. No leakage.
So over say 5 days of checking it sitting at different angles no oil was lost. Result !!

So now to checking the pump is working. looking at the oil screw which has - & + it was set at max which let’s say 11 o clock. Minimum is roughly 3 o clock.

I removed the bar and plate etc & watched oil come out of the oil rubber pipe when it was running. So now I know the pump works.

I did run the saw with the end of the bar aimed at some cardboard but nothing in the way of oil came off.
So this just leaves me with the bar. I cleaned the groove out all the way around the bar as it’s like a sandwich where I would be cleaning between the two pieces of bread.
I slightly oiled the end sprocket in the bar & it’s free to turn.
The end where it gets oil sprayed on it has two holes and a long slot.

How does the oil get to the chain ?

Looking at other bars there’s a small hole which then goes to the outside of the bar but this bar doesn’t have that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back