Large pond - how to retain water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a very large pond (going on for a miniature lake :D) which is about 10x10m. Through part of the year it is full of water other parts of the year it drys right out. It does not appear to be linked to the amount of rainfall, the previous owner said it was water table related.

Can I line the pond with anything that would allow it to be full of water all year round?

Clay perhaps?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
How is it formed just a hole dug out in the ground? Or is it a structure? Is it lined with anything at present? Got a pic of when it's empty?

Hi. :)

No photos yet but I can take one tomorrow.

it is just a hole in the ground, the water of the house drains in to it (it is about 20 metres from the house)

At the bottom there is just a mass of branches and mud from the surrounding trees. It has been there for a while though may have been man made 30 years back or so. The property is very rural and the rainwater from the roof drains in to the pond. It is just a shame it drains out.

I have a similar but larger pond 35m x 15m. It has been clay lined but the water level this year is down at least 60cm.

Sponsored Links
If I have a small lake, you have an ocean. :D

So Clay lining is a possible solution then, 60cm I can take. From having it 5 foot deep to nothing is a bit annoying though.

How does one go about getting clay? Assume buying packs from hobby craft would work out quite expensive.
Whats involved, dump a load of clay in then work it around leaving it about 1 ft thick? Does it need to dry out?

Thanks

Jon!

Around here you can buy a tipper full of dried clay that is used for....................................................lining ponds, lakes, drains and rivers.
You can buy it by the bag but it is far too expensive for the size of pond you have.

Once you have the clay you need to dig steps into the wall of the pond, this stops the clay sliding down. It is a job for a good digger driver.

http://www.aggmax.co.uk/clay/

Around here you can buy a tipper full of dried clay that is used for....................................................lining ponds, lakes, drains and rivers.
You can buy it by the bag but it is far too expensive for the size of pond you have.

Once you have the clay you need to dig steps into the wall of the pond, this stops the clay sliding down. It is a job for a good digger driver.

http://www.aggmax.co.uk/clay/

Thank you very much. I will need to get some quote to get it done.
Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back