Large upvc window catching after 10 months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a large upvc window I has a new hinge fitted around 10 months ago, but it's already catching on the things at the bottom of the frame.

It looks like the hinge is fitted too low to me but the fitter said that's how these hinges are.

Any ideas please?
20240412_124940.jpg

Sponsored Links
A local window fitting company, cost me around 100 quid as far as I can remember.
It doesn't show very well on the picture but there is quite a gap at the top, which there isn't on all the other windows.

Sponsored Links
Whats likely happened here is they screwed the new hinges lower down on the casement to compensate for the inevitable sag you get with top hung casements, screwing lower down means the casement is higher up but they probably over compensated and the cams weren't engaging in the keeps so they just lowered the hinge on the frame, not such a big deal doing that but now that its sagged again it needs lifting, the joy now is theres scope to lift the hinge back into the corners

Yes luckily they can be which will benefit the OP, like I said I suspect the fitter had to lower the hinge on the frame because he'd set the hinge slightly wrong on the casement and it was too high and the cams wouldn't engage so it was easier just to lower the hinge rather than lift the casement back out and reposition the hinges, the hinges are put on using a jig at the factory, replacing hinges on site and freehand takes practice as you only have a 3mm tolerance to get them in the right position

Totally agree Crank , it is something that definetly requires practice, even after 20 odd years I still get it wrong occasionally lol and I see why he did it but to say ' that's how hinges are ' is absolutely ridiculous!

Thanks for your help guys, I re fitted the other window hinges myself and it was really awkward.
What seems to be a problem is that the tolerance as you say is only 3mm.

That seems to be down to the way the locking mechanism fits together, but I can't understand why they would be made like that.

Does no one make something that solves that problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back