laser measure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been thinking about buying a laser measure for a while now, just moved into new house and needs lots of diy.
What are keen DIY'ers experience of owning one? well worth the money or expensive bit of kit that very occasional gets used?
I'm looking at the bosch dle40 if any one has experience of this particular model.
Thanks
Jim

Edit: replaced 'level' with 'measure'

Sponsored Links
Unless you are putting in suspended ceilings around the house, then a laser level is not much use for DIY

However, the dle40 is a laser measure, and you cant level with it

If you do mean a measure and not a level, then the dle 40 is very good

i've used my laser for a number of different tasks around the home -

picture frames
shelving
fitting new door frames
feature ceiling in living room
curtain poles
kitchen units
checking floor level for tiling etc.
checking walls for high/low spots(by running parallel line) for tiling
level line for wall tiling
straight line for floor tiling
drywall partitions
out in the garden i used mine for decking, raised beds and i even levelled my lawn!

granted it's possible to do all these with a spirit level,string line,plumb bob etc. but they do make life easier and offer greater accuracy.
it's down to whether you personaly can justify purchasing one.
i use mine for work as well so this was never an issue for me although if this wasn't the case, would i now be in possession of one? most definately!

thanks for the replies.
Of course I meant laser measure and not level. What a dumb-ass I am.
Anyone got any views on the value of spending £80 on this laser-measure?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.
Of course I meant laser measure and not level. What a dumb-ass I am.
Anyone got any views on the value of spending £80 on this laser-measure?

Cheers

Hi, £80 budget... that's pretty low. I've had many makes and models of laser measures over the years and you're using it for professional use i'd say go for a Leica DISTO any day of the week. If you're looking for something basic then the Leica DISTO D2 will do the job. I have a Leica DISTO D3a myself but that's only because I needed some of the more advanced features but most of the features I use day to day on the D3a are available in the D2 model.

As far as I know the Bosch models are based on Leica's technology but don't have the same level of features of the 3 year warranty (which I think is worth paying the extra for)

3 year on the bosch one if you register it
and i gather that most laser measures are based on leica technology

laser measures and levels are a total waste of money for diy,
decent quality ones would get used no where near enough to justify the cost and cheap ones are cheap for a reason

they are time savers for professionals but dont do a better job in any way

thanks for the replies
I think I'm going to get one to try out as I will be doing a lot of DIY in the next few years as our new house needs totally gutting. All my other bosch tools have been excellent so far, hopefully this one will continue this trend. Will let you know how I get on with it

Any of the bosch blue measures will be excellent for DIY or pro work.

It just depends how much use it will get, as to whether its worth buying

laser measures and levels are a total waste of money for diy,
decent quality ones would get used no where near enough to justify the cost and cheap ones are cheap for a reason

they are time savers for professionals but dont do a better job in any way

I see what you're saying but if you have a lot to measure and no one to hold the end of a tape measure then it WOULD actually save time... and I don't know about the rest of your guys and girls on here but my time is precious and if I can cut out 2 hours of "measuring time" by using a laser measure on a DIY project then that's 2 hours I could spend on a worksite where I'm being paid... thus making a purchase of £100 or so a worth while investment. Plus, you can always eBay it after you've finished.

I guess it depends how much measuring you have to do. I'm not sure if anyone has laser measure for hire but that might be a happy medium?

have got one off ebay almost brand new at a ood price. can always put it back on if I don't use it as much as I think.
I'm hoping its going to be a great addition to my tool kit

have got one off ebay almost brand new at a ood price. can always put it back on if I don't use it as much as I think.
I'm hoping its going to be a great addition to my tool kit

Great, which model did you go for in the end out of interest?

I've never used a DLE model before but it seems to have a good write up around the web. I came across a budget one (the Proline FL-60) the other night but I couldn't decide if this has Leica internal workings or not (like the Bosch range does).

It seems like good value but only a 60m range. I guess that's fine for most internal jobs and it has to be miles better than one of the rubbish sonic ones!

well its more expensive than the dle40 but that only has a 40m range, what do you want to (or can) measure over 40m for the DIY'er except the length of my garden but I won't be paying an extra £30 for the DLE70 just for 1 measurement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back