last attempt with concrete questions!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted a few questions relating to the use of concrete for finished flooring(polished/stained etc.) both inside and out...No one seems to know anything and I find this very frustrating as when you go on the web there are loadssss of outfits doing and promoting this in the states and australia. SO, does anyone out there:-
1. Know anyone who has used concrete in this way?
2. Know any contractors who can use concrte in this way?
3. Seen any concretes used/finished in this way?
4. Know of suppliers of products used for these finishes?

The most helpful of all would be someone who could do the job/advise etc. in my area...The Lake District.

I'll have to give up if no-one replies to this, but I suppose it was worth a try. :( :confused:
IN FACT

Sponsored Links
I had noticed your posts, but in general you do not get a reply:

1) rude (not saying you are)

2) no one knows the answer

3) posted in wrong forum

i favour 2

please also bear in mind this is a diy forum, we are all just like you no one on this site gets paid

Sorry Breezer, if my tone offended. Didn't mean to. My frustration is not with this site, simply feeling the 'professionals' for the job, don't seem to be in abundance in the UK, and I have met a reluctance from 'tradesmen' to try the new stuff 'cos its easier to stick with what you know. If I did that in my job, I wouldn't have one!
I think the site is great and useful and I have been trying to find something to answer, to 'do my bit'.
I feel 'told off' and unsure of whether I should post anything else if that's how I've come over to people.
The project we're working on is a mixture of DIY and professionals, which we are jobbing. Having built our last house, redeveloped two buildings and now facing pretty extensive changes to the house we are now in, I am usually able to work well with people BUT do like to try new things. The house we built was timber frame, had U/floor heating, heat recovery and ventillation, timber and tiled floors throughout and as many different but compatible features we could afford to incorporate. This was nearly 10 years ago. There were things in then that I wanted but a bit like now, couldn't find the tradesemen to support my ideas. So I did without, reluctantly.
My frustration now is that I may have to give up on my plans for the concrete flooring.
Apologies once again for any offence, I'll think carefully if I decide to post anything more.
By the way, being new to forums all together, what do you mean by 'not saying who i am'?
Thanks for the response, anyway.

Iasku, I used to feel like you, ie dont know if to ask questions, but after a week or so of looking at the replies, you can see that there are one or two in this forum, that 'like the sound of there own voice', I have been DIYing for 40 years & what I like about this forum is the Professionalism that the majority of questions are answered. It also nice reading about other peoples problems etc. (Diy & Personal). So dont be disheartened

Sponsored Links
Cheers Folks, feel a bit less browbeaten!! Thanks for the effort!! Will update progress on flooring in case others are interested in outcome. :)

iasku said:
Sorry Breezer, if my tone offended.

i never took it as offensive, on the contary, i felt sorry for you, i know what it must be like trying to get answers, but as i said and you can see, no one can tell you the answer, only point you in the right direction. I thought it would be rude if i posted my sarcastic comment #2 which is try a search engine, so i dind't post it, but by repling i got your message noticed :D

Since seeing your original posts, I have searched the Internet to find more information on the processes involved. I was surprised by how little detailed information is available on this subject.

I get the impression that the contractors in this field, keep their trade secrets pretty close to thier chest. I don't think that you are asking the wrong questions. Your just unlucky enough to have stumbled into an area that is largely unknown.

From the results I have seen on the various contractors sites, I would love to know the details of how it's acheived. Obviously there is a shortage of information on this subject, so, in the event that you find what you're looking for, I do hope you'll keep us posted.

Thanks Texmex and everyone else who has been taking the time and trouble to research this. I have spent quite a lot of time doing the same and have found a site which sells a video on 'acid staining' (from the states) but whether this would include the polishing element I'm not sure. I have talked to a few people who say they know what I mean and I have found the sites which talk about hand finishing relatively small areas (eg worktops etc.) and I have called quite a few places. So far in the UK the sources I have managed to establish have been for the epoxy commercial finishes and I could get hold of these products to DIY it BUT its not really what I want. The pictures and magazine items I have seen look really good so my next step may be contacting the mags for their sources and I'll carry on with this for a while...will let everyone know success or Failure..!

american video tapes do not work over here unless its vhs, see if they have a UK version

Panasonic replay NTS & PAL, there are probably more VHS machines that will probably replay US tapes, maybe easier than tryingto obtain UK/Europe tape

For those who are watching this space...I have been in touch with a company I found on the WEB, (Quest of warrington), who appear to do exactly what I want. I had been doing the same searches for 3 weeks and they only came up once...so they need to get some way of getting fed to the right engines. Anyway, strange thing is that the guy I have spoken to is the original guy I was hoping would respond in mid July to my postings on SHANKY of Feb 2004. Let's hope we can go ahead.
Thanks everyone...can't wait to see my polished concrete floor!
;) :D

iasku said:
I have posted a few questions relating to the use of concrete for finished flooring(polished/stained etc.) both inside and out...
IN FACT
Hi not all that much help but when the [was] Rover engineering centre was built at Gaydon they wanted polished natura stone walls fro the 'Street' (an indoor viewing/boulevard area) but could not afford it. The project engineer in charge discovered a firm that could polish the surface to an incredibly good finish and [depending upon the mix] the final result could look like massive stone walls. Can't help with contacts though cos it is now owned by Ford.

iasku said:
For those who are watching this space
Just to re-assure you, I am still watching this space. I was rather hoping to get some information on how it is done. Do Quest rent out the equipment (and provide information) to do the job, or is it just a case of paying them to do all of the work?

Could you also provide some feed back on what costs you expeerience in this area. I have a future project in mind, but I suspect it would be too expensive.

Thanks everyone, Texmex, I found the quote I had very high, way above my budget. It appeared to be just for the polishing and I had expected it to be for the concrete as well. It worked out at over £150/sq.m. SO, after going on concrete.org.uk, I spoke to someone who will do this for between £30 and £40 per sq foot, as well as providing me with lots of information about the requirements to lay the 'correct concrete floor' ready for treatment. As they appear to be mainly commercial, I think you will find the information on the site I have provided, under this topic.
I haven't found anyone who hires out the equipment, I think it is very expensive stuff, or at least the diamond grinders are.
When I have had this done, which will be a while yet due to delays in project, I will post outcome.
cheers ao

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back