Lathe tools.

Got a cheap set of gouges off Amazon, (£20), until my good set from Axminster arrive in a few weeks.
I don't know if it's me, (probably), or the chisels but the finish I am getting is quite rough. I found some 1 1/4" curtain pole in my shed and managed after a few attempts to make a simple egg cup. The finish was quite rough but managed to sand it down to a reasonable level. That was with the grain parallel to the bed. I've now glued some pine blocks together and will try a simple bowl with the grain vertical to the bed and see how that goes.

Sponsored Links
Got a cheap set of gouges off Amazon, (£20), until my good set from Axminster arrive in a few weeks.
I don't know if it's me, (probably), or the chisels but the finish I am getting is quite rough. I found some 1 1/4" curtain pole in my shed and managed after a few attempts to make a simple egg cup. The finish was quite rough but managed to sand it down to a reasonable level. That was with the grain parallel to the bed. I've now glued some pine blocks together and will try a simple bowl with the grain vertical to the bed and see how that goes.

Well I did advise you to get a set of carbide tools. Cheap gouges are crap and even expensive ones take some getting used to. But there ya go you wasted £20. Oh yeah I do have a lathe and turned out some good stuff using carbide tools. I do pots, bowls and pens.

I'd prefer to get some experience with a 20 quid set and learn how to sharpen them rather than pay for a carbide set to find out I was actually unable to develop the skills rather than blame the tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back