Lawn Mower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't quite know where to post this problem but as its mechanical thought it best here. I just hope there is someone who knows something about petrol mowers
I have a hydrostatic drive ride on mower, the engine is running fine, cutting deck works fine but its just moving so slowly now and wont climb gradients. It used to fly around.
It has a simple rocking type foot peddle, ie tip forward to move forward and tip back to reverse. Thing is, when I start it it does not want to move at all. If I rock the foot peddle back and forth, back and forth and back and forth, it reluctantly starts to move, and gradually gets better after a few minutes. And then will even do a job of grass cutting. It has a bit more power in reverse than going forward but still won’t go up a slight inline.
It has all the symptoms of a slipping belt or clutch, but I can’t see any drive belt, there is a drive chain to the rear drive wheels and that looks fine.
What could be the problem please?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What type of a mower is it?

If it has a proper Hydro drive (commercial type mower) it will have an oil filled gearbox, Check the oil level and change the oil filter if it has one.

If it has a pulley/belt type torque converter, either the rubber pulley or the belt needs adjusting/replacing.

Try not to keep using it, as it will only make the repair bill bigger.

What type of a mower is it?

If it has a proper Hydro drive (commercial type mower) it will have an oil filled gearbox, Check the oil level and change the oil filter if it has one.

If it has a pulley/belt type torque converter, either the rubber pulley or the belt needs adjusting/replacing.

Try not to keep using it, as it will only make the repair bill bigger.

Its a John Deere Euro Pro 1538 HR garden mower. Not a large commercial type. It has a twin blade cutting deck and rear discharge with tipping grass box.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to endorse all thats been said above......if the transmission has an oil tank, there sould be around 30mm of oil in the tank (SAE 10/30 is fine); look for oil leaks; the transmission is linked to the pedal via a rod linkage which will be adjustable, and if it is an oil problem then this often manifests itself by coming out of drive on an incline.
The drive belt is the top one (crankshaft pulley has two belts - one drives the cutter deck, the other drives the transmission).
John :)

Well done lads.

I will have a good look now. The mower is old, I have no hand book and know nothing about this hydro drive stuff.
But if its still good old fashioned belts, rod linkages and oil levels I will have a go.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back