Lawn - To Gypsum or to Top Dress

Thanks. Its just I have read a few things over the internet which say it can be used on lawns as long as its watered in well it will improve soil structure but do it after the lawn has been cut. Others say to add the gypsum into the top soil before top dressing and after hollow tine aeration so it can get down further into the soil and break down deeper in places as well as on the surface which is why I am asking here.

The problem I have is that it doesn't drain well as the clay is not very far down which is why I am trying to improve the soil structure with gypsum and sharp sand to improve some form of drainage and to stop the clay from cracking too as well as allow the roots to go deeper and hold more water.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your comments.

I have applied gypsum to the soil and dug it in as deep as the fork would go. I ripped it all up and turned it all over after putting some on the top, after mixing this in I did this again with another dressing of gypsum on top and dug this in and then placed some more on the top and gave it all a good watering in. I did this all around the garden and then awaited the rain on Saturday. When it came and battered down the gypsum was defiantly well watered in.

I went out yesterday and pressed some of the clumps of clay to see what happens and they are breaking up and crumbling obviously the larger clumps are still clay but the outside edges are breaking off so it appears to be working so I will turn it all over again to break it up some more and then apply some more next year.

Thanks Again

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back