Laying 90x18mm solid oak t&g on various surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies in advance for the long post...

i'm about to lay 40m of 90x18mm solid oak t&g in my living room\entrance. the living room has had a through lounge, half the floor is the original Joist + T&G (all fine, i've been under!) the other half is a screed laid in the last 2 years with all the usual DPM etc - no sign of damp. the screeded floor is 25mm lower then the existing T&G.
The Hall floor is original Joist and floorboard, but not T&G, again its all solid, on the same level as the other T&G floor.
I've checked the screed with a laser level and the 25mm difference is the same all over give or take 3mm.
So....questions:

my intention is to:
Lay a sheet DPM across all floors, taking it 75mm up the walls, then screw + glue 20mm baton the screed (obviously this will puncture the DPM) OR ply the whole screed with 18MM ply.
then use a porta-nailer to pop it down, leaving 5-10mm gap to be filled with cork for expansion.

I'd then like to wax it to give a natural but darker finish although i want it to be as resistant to scratches as poss.

so questions....

1. Ply or Baton? and why. (i'm expecting ply to be a pain to get level)
2. any worries if the joint doesn't hit a baton (its end matched)
3. any comments on the DPM?
4. reccomended products\suppliers for DPM & WAX. i'm in the midlands.
5. any other thoughts or warnings.

I've done a 60m pine T&G over old T&G before, never oak and never over screed before so just checking!

Thanks in advance

Dean.

Sponsored Links
Won't give you advice on ply versus battens, both ways are suitable. Select the one that you think will give the best result. Battens shouldn't be further apart than 35 - 40cm though.

Will give you a warning about filling expansion gaps (make that 10mm minimum, preferable 15mm in your case) with cork. DON'T !

As for wax (or HardWaxOil in think you mean?) and scratch resistant: any small scratches can be easily 'repaired' by filling them with wax so your wood stays protected. You can't do that with varnish/lacquer.
Also, wax/oiled floors can be sanded locally without creating a 'patchy' look you will get when sanding and repairing a lacquered floor 'locally'

Thanks for the reply, fair enough, i was guessing at how much expansion gap to leave. 15mm it is. should i not fill it with anything then?

I think i do mean hardwaxoil. any reccomendation on brands and where to get hold of it?

Don't fill an expansion gap with something! It's a gap! Cover the gap with flat beading, your skirting boards or Scotia, but don't fill it.

As for HardWaxOil, both Osmo and Blanchon are good products.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. one final thing, for the DPM can i just use normal black polythene that i would use for under screed or does it need to be breathable etc. again if oyu could reccomend anything it be grateful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back