Plase help - Laying T&G wooden floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of buying hardwood tongue and groove floors.

On the ground floor (screeded on top of UFH and concrete) we were told to use engineered rather than solid. However, one supplier said the floor could be floating another said it had to be glued to the floor but no glue on the tongues. Are both these methods ok?

On the first floor the floors are currently normal pine floors nailed into the joists. I thought we could lay onto the existing pine floors or, alternatively, remove the pine floors and fix directly to the floor joists (secret nail in the tongue). However, the suppliers said that I would have to remove all the floors and lay 14mm-18mm plywood or hardboard and then lay the new floors on top of this.

However, on TV the other day i saw Tommy Walsh laying solid oak T&G floors straight onto the joists (i.e. having removed the original pine floorboards). He said that because of the T&G even if a joint between the oak boards happened in between two joists the T&G made it so strong that this wasn't a problem. Can someone please explain the correct/best way?

Thnx so much! :)

Sponsored Links
You can install floorboards directly onto joists as long as:
A) the joists are not further apart than 35 - 40cm
B) every floorboards connects with at least 3 joists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back