Laying a new Hearth, help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Planning to install a decorative non fuctional fireplace. But am a little lost on how best to lay a new hearth. I've pulled out the old one and left with whats in the picture.

The old constuctional hearth appears to be a 'dry stone wall' type construction with the gaps filled with dirt. Its sturdy enough and feels solid underfoot.

I would like the new hearth raised above floorboard level slighty, so would need to raise and level the hearth area. What the best approach in this instance? Lay some concrete and then some self levelling compund?

I'm not quite sure how I would enclose an area of concrete as the edges are not level and are tucked slighty under the protruding floorboards, as i've tryed to show in the second picture.

Any thoughts welcome.

View media item 37003 View media item 37004

Sponsored Links
What are you doing with the slab once in place is it to be tiled, polished, painted etc...

There are a few of options,
You could build some form work around the area, sealing so none of the pour can escape, causing weak spots and uneven finish. This can be tampered down to near level, then floated up when stiffening.
Or you can have a purpose built one measured and poured to fit or cut to size.

What are you doing with the slab once in place is it to be tiled, polished, painted etc...

There are a few of options,
You could build some form work around the area, sealing so none of the pour can escape, causing weak spots and uneven finish. This can be tampered down to near level, then floated up when stiffening.
Or you can have a purpose built one measured and poured to fit or cut to size.

I plan to lay a polished granite hearth/slab on top once levelled.
Is there a particular type of concrete best used for pouring? The only type I've used is ready-mix stuff for patching up brickwork and certainly wouldn't pour.

Sponsored Links
So you must be intending, just to come level to the existing floor level of your floorboards, then lay granite on top or you will need to decorate the edges.

If that is the case, first I would seal the areas where the mix could escape, in this case it could be just as easy to but a polythene down to seal it or use a semi dry concrete mix to fill the gaps and leave to set.
The mix I would use for the pour would be at ratio of
3no 10mm gravel
1no grit sand
1no cement
make it is wet enough so you can tamper down, this will help to get down to some where near level and you can then trowel it flat when mix is stiffening, keep a level handy. No need for self levelling compound, if it's a little out you can get it back when you bed your granite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back