Laying bamboo flooring in kitchen - install after units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've been advised by the bamboo flooring supplier to fit kitchen units (in currently empty kitchen) first, followed by carbonised solid bamboo flooring. Rationale: this will enable the floor to 'move' or expand.
However, my husband (who is not a DIY expert!) isn't convinced this is correct advice. I think he thinks the company has an ulterior motive, but I'm not sure what??

Can someone please advise and help us resolve!
Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome hall77 :D :D :D
iff you expect the floor to last longer than the kitchen then floor first assuming it suitable for wet/ damp areas
now you will have the problem off pinch areas when overlaying a kitchen on top but a well sealed or kitchen compatable floor will usually need minimum "alteration or adjustment"

In most if not all situations it is better to install the kitchen units first, then the wooden floor. It will save you some sq meters, the boards can end just underneath the units (cut the plinth to new height) and in the event of a leak or flood you don't have to rip put all the units in order to lift the floor.

Why would the supplier have ulterior motives?

Many thanks for replies so far.

I have no idea why the company would have an ulterior motive! I think my husband is just over thinking it all :rolleyes: :LOL:

PS. I'm really struggling to find a bamboo (or hardwood - block/strip?) fitter in North London. Can anyone recommend the best way to go about this? Unfortunately the supplier has been let down by too many fitters and will only recommend one, and he's in the North of England!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. We've decided to lay floor after kitchen units have been installed. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back