Laying Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are bricks laid with the indented side down?

Sponsored Links
Logic suggests that 'frog' on top would achieve nothing, except you would use more mortar.
'Frog' on base makes it easier when tamping the brick down(less resistance) and because some mortar is forced into the frog it helps to key the brick.
Well that's my theory!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers for the answers. Never knew about the "frog" term.

Sponsored Links
actually the frog should be uppermost.
see http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur09.htm which says...

With solid or perforated bricks, the orientation of the brick doesn't matter, but with frogged bricks, the frog should always be laid uppermost. This ensures that the loading of the wall is evenly spread across its width, rather than being concentrated onto the edges, and that there are no voids within the brickwork that could be weak spots.

Well! there you are, so much for my logic! perhaps it's just to save material
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Once again - thanks for the info & link!

Just so you know I am laying a very small sleeper wall (2 bricks in length) to support a floor joist.

I set the foundation last weekend and will lay the wall this weekend.

When I built my porch (ambitious, I know ;) ) I used the bricks with three holes down the middle, god it was so annoying to lay a line of mortar only to watch half of it disappear through the holes!

Hang up? me? Don't think so.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back