laying ceramic tiles onto floorboards..advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
we are thinking of having victorian tiles down in our hallway but are wondering whats best way to preparing the floor.
we have floorboards just now - is it a case of laying some boarding down and then bedding the tiles onto that? or is it more technical?
if it is simply boarding the floor - what type of board, thickness etc?
and what type of mortar/cement would be best for laying the tiles?

thanks in advance

chris.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't lay tiles onto the existing floorboards. Because they are so narrow they will each have the potential to flex differently in relation to their neighbours and soon will find grout disintegrating, and tiles lifting and potentially cracking.

I'd put down some 20mm WBP plywood and tile onto that. Also make sure you put noggins under any joints.

I wouldn't lay tiles onto the existing floorboards. Because they are so narrow they will each have the potential to flex differently in relation to their neighbours and soon will find grout disintegrating, and tiles lifting and potentially cracking.

I'd put down some 20mm WBP plywood and tile onto that. Also make sure you put noggins under any joints.

thanks for the reply - but why the use of noggins?

Sponsored Links

thanks for the reply - but why the use of noggins?
So that the edge of the plywood is supported so that it can't deflect at its edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back