Laying concrete slab driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at replacing ome driveway concrete slabs.They are approx 600mmX600mm.The existing cracked slabs were laid with sand underneath and a nearby trees roots I guess with movement overtime and the car loads going over them have cracked.Maybe also were the soil dries and then absrbing mositure creating movement underneath.
How is best to lay them?Should I be using sharp sand?Concrete as well?Waht type of depths?If I use a oncrete base surely this will hav less give in it whn loads go over it and then more cracks?Also the driveway is on a steep slope, so it would be impossible to use a level to get a good finish.Any ideas?
Do I need to set the slabs slightly proud of the existing slabs as they will bed down with the car loads?

Thinking of setting out a taught string to get a straight edge as existing slabs have moved in different directions.I would then look at laying 60mm of sharp grit sand and compacting it as much as possible,trying to acheive a smooth finish.Then add new concrete slabs.

Sponsored Links
To do a proper job, you need to incorporate about 8" of compacted hardcore beneath the driveway and about 2" of dry sharp sand/cement mix (about 3-4 sand to 1 cement), again compacted and levelled (as is smooth with no troughs, and not with reference to the slope)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back