Laying Indian Sandstone on a concrete slab.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm going to be laying a 35m2 patio on a concrete slab, the slab was a workshop and is reinforced, solid with no cracks. I was going to lay the slabs with a slight incline for drainage.

The mix I was going to lay them on is lean mix mortar (10 grit sand - 1 cement) semi-dry starting at 2.5" down to 1/2".

Any comments on if this seems right please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Too dry, and too gritty. More sand, more water. Search for more details.

Have fun

Your choice. Have fun. You'll find it easier with a wet mix. I dont find they bond very well to sharp sand and cement, especially with a damp mix.

Sponsored Links
Gone with the wet mix as advised and all going well :D

With the pointing I was going to use 3:1 soft sand & cement fairly dry so I don't stain the paving, should I sprinkle with a bit of water when it's pointed up to help it cure? The paving mortar will have dried as I'll do all the pointing at the end.

I use plastering sand as it stain less and i find the mix of courser sand and soft sand gives a harder joint. No need to sprinkle with water unless its very hot in which case a tiny sprinkle after 2 hours after finished and then every 2 hours for the rest of that day. Alternatively cover to keep the sun off it.

Thanks r896neo, I cant see the sun being a problem so I don't think I'll need to wet it then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back