DIY - Re-laying Indian Sandstone patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!
We have an Indian sandstone rear patio (probably a few years old, from before we moved to the property). Some slabs were rocking and had moss/vegetation growing in the pointing. Decided to have a crack at re-doing it myself.

- Have lifted the slabs, chipped away the old multiple cement spots and brushed off the loose sand.
- There is a concrete underlying base, on which I want to re-lay these same sandstone slabs and re-point.
- I bought Tarmac Multi-purpose Mortar Mix (25 kg bags) from Homebase.
- Probably didnt do too well with the mortar mixing, leading the slabs not sticking and could be lifted off easily in 2 days :(
- Removed this recently laid mortar which was often a bit crumbly. Few areas were quite rock-hard.. very inconsistent.

- Question -
(1) Should I pursue with this Tarmac ready-mix mortar and get a good wet mix to lay the slabs on? (thinking of hiring a cement mixer)
(2) Buy building sand/cement/plasticiser and make the wet mix from scratch (4:1) using a cement mixer?
Or
(3) Would a semi-dry / moist-mix do the trick (screeding) - though I have my doubts on this one :confused:

Planning to point this with "Easy Joint paving grout" as a wet slurry mix.

Appreciate your thoughts -- Images attached. Thanks for looking.
patio2.png

Attachments

• patio1.png
    patio1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 417
Sponsored Links
You won't get 2 answers the same to any question you can ask about laying flags.

Spend a few mins here : http://www.pavingexpert.com

1. When you're happy the sub base is OK, lay your flags onto a wet mortar of 6-1 sharp sand & cement. This layer needs to be approx 40mm deep. I don't do dry or semi-dry mixes, I like my flags to move when I tap them when laying. NOT whacking seven bales out of 'em with HUGE mallets & risking breaking them or worse . . . cement voids !

2. Butter the flags & point them as you go. This way the pointing will be thoroughly integrated & last for years.

3. Find the man who laid those flags using the dot method, shoot him & bury his lifeless body under your newly laid flags. This way he can do no more harm.

The mortar mix you bought is for laying bricks. Its not really right for flags.

Follow dorks advice its pretty spot on.

Personally I prefer to point afterwards and if your a novice flag layer I would do the same. Worrying about jointing and butter in as you go will slow you down to a snails pace.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your replies Dork Lard, r896neo ... Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back