Laying concrete to level up a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a fireplace in my living room which has a couple of odd ‘steps’ down to the main floor level, which will make it a more expensive and difficult process to get a granite hearth cut to the right fit.

I thought I could make things easier by levelling up these different levels by laying some concrete to create a single block, extending out at the same level as the base of the fireplace. This would enable me to get a hearth cut with a more manageable flat bottom. The existing sub-floor is concrete, so is it simply a case of building a wooden frame, pouring in the concrete to the right level and waiting for it to set. Or do I need to prepare the sub floor in any way so that the new concrete will take to it?

As you can tell I’ve never worked with concrete before so any advice gratefully received. Alternatively, if buying a big bag of concrete for this small job is overkill and there is some other product I am overlooking that could be used, please let me know!

Many thanks!
Craig

Sponsored Links
This sounds a perfect project for fastneattrowel to give advice on. If you weren't so far from Ipswich, he'd probably come and do it for you :D

He was being "ironic"...

Make some shuttering up to the right level, mix 1 cement with 6 all-in ballast (get a bag from local BM), bung some unibond in the mix and paint over the surfaces of the existing concrete as well, hand tamp and level off. That's all you need to do; the nominal weight increase will have no adverse effect on what is there at the moment.

Sponsored Links
He's going to tile it, how good a kin finish do you need for that?!

What he also hasn't said is how much in height he's got to make up: 6 or 7 inches is a bit much for a "wettish screed"; conversely, 2" or less is not really suited to concrete, even with pea shingle agg.

The devil, as always, is in the detail... :LOL:

He's going to tile it, how good a kin finish do you need for that?!
why concrete though,maybe screed might be cheaper in his local builders,by the way shy can you in norfolk buy thames washed sand for rendering? cause in essex they never heard of it,i think most builders use soft sand lol cause the only sharp they sell is what i call screed,same there is i :) t?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back