Laying granite flags amongst soil/plant area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a small front garden project (5x1.5m) and want to have a line of granite flags (300x600x60mm) within the soil which will be bark chipped and planted a few plants. The line of flags makes a V shape as it follows the 2 angles of the bay of the house, meeting at a point, so gives 3 equally sized planting areas.

So do I literally bed the flags onto sand? What stops the sand pushing outwards and causing the flags to sink - the solid surely won't be enough to hold it back will it? It will be walked on. Or do I trap the sand in with a row of concrete either side? The soil, or bark chippings, needs to be flush with the flags.

Thanks for any help.

PS. I live on the sea front, so is using sand from the beach just as good as builders sand for what little I have to do? It's less effort than driving to a builder's yard, and free! :)

Sponsored Links
I have no idea whether beach sand is the right kind of sand or not but all beaches have an owner - usually either the Crown or private individuals/organisations. So taking beach sand isn't free, it's theft.

I have no idea whether beach sand is the right kind of sand or not but all beaches have an owner - usually either the Crown or private individuals/organisations. So taking beach sand isn't free, it's theft.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/garden...nt-area.366932/#2787300#ixzz2VANlM1zC[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about a very small amount, maybe equivalent to 3 bags, I'm sure the beach won't suffer - I know it doesn't make it right but people loads their cars with large stones all the time.

forget about all this sand business. You need to lay them on mortar. something like

5:1

grit sand : cement

then haunch the edge with the mortar to stop them moving sideways. Check out paving expert.com for more info

Sponsored Links
I know it doesn't make it right but people loads their cars with large stones all the time.
If you use what other people do as a guide and justification for your actions then there's not much you wouldn't end up doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back