Laying Gravel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have begun the process of removing grass in my front garden, have tilled the compacted soil for levelling. The bit we are doing is a square and we are going to replant a hedge at the front, have some raised beds down one side and a square of plants in the middle. The rest we are going to put down gravel for, only some slabs for pots. Foot traffic will be for weeding/planting/maintenance etc, so light in terms of footfall.

I've been trying to look around for how to do this properly and would like some advice. My plan would be to:

Tamp down soil
Make some mortar and lay slabs
Put down weed membrane on the rest
Add stones

The beds/hedge have a small border fence, just slatted with some spike in to ground. They will also be mulched with bark.

However, I've seen some places say I need substrate, some say sand and mot1 stuff, others say it's fine. The soil is clay.

Any advice please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The gravel - recommend 20mm - will be fine on the weed membrane, on the soil. Don't lay it too deep - my neighbour has about 100mm or more depth and it's like walking on a pebble beach, makes the postman take the long way round :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back