Laying gravel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a small area of gravel which will be completely surrounded by sleepers so should be no problems of it moving. I have chucked down some old slabs and any small rubble, it isnt flat but just to prevent using as much gravel. I have filled the gaps with sharp sand and sprinkled cement over it.

Will that be good enough to lay the membrane and gravel? It is decorative only.

Sponsored Links
when you say decorative, I assume you mean like a border, not a path, and therefore will not be walked on?

What was the point of sprinkling the sand and cement over it?

If it is not for walking on then it should be fine, as it won't be carrying any weight.

With sand down, I would put a weed membrane down to prevent weeds growing in the sand and through the rubble, then add your gravel ontop.

Just make sure you have enough give in the membrane to fill any dips that will be pulled in by the weight of the gravel.

Yes like a border, might have a few small plant pots on circular slabs and the odd person may step on it but it definitely won't be a path.

The sand was just to fill big gaps for when I lay the membrane. I bought the heavy duty one because, as you said, it could rip if the gravel is laid on the membrane and the membrane is on a rough uneven surface.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back