Laying new patio on top of existing??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can tell from the title this is what I'm thinking of doing. I've already laid a small patio (adjacent to this proposed project) for which I had to dig out the old broken up patio and prepared the ground work properly before laying on a concrete base.

The new patio will be at a higher level to match with what I'd done last year so it occured to me I could use the existing patio as a solid base since there is no movement. I don't see the point of going to all the trouble of taking up this old patio, hiring a skip and laying sub-base when this is as solid as one could hope to get base wise.

If anyone has any thoughts why this is a bad idea or tips on making this work better I'd really like to know :)

thanks

Sponsored Links
If its been down for a long time (decades?) and never sunk, then I'd say you're good to go. Although I'm certainly no expert, its logical to assume a longstanding patio is no more likely to sink than a newly-laid sub-base. I laid a new patio above the pre-existing one in our garden a few years ago and have had no problems. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. Just as I thought and will save so much work. No not near any damp proof courses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back