Laying Off Paint

Sponsored Links
Deepends on the paint Rob..

If its gloss undercoat eggshell etc the general rule is you lay of in the direction of the grain in the wood.

There are sometimes exceptions though....like if you eggshelling a large area like a wall in which case you lay off in differnt directions.

The same goes for emulsioning a wall dont lay it off upwards...it will dry to quick and not allow the brsh marks to flow out...and dont lay it off horizontally either it looks really ugly.

Lay off in differnt directions finishing in an arc of about 14 inches.

Know B/Ferry well used to do a bit of careers work in the schools around there

Thanks zampa

experience has taught me re gloss and similar. Always found emulsion to be troublesome, know I now why!! Got ceiling to do tomorrow, roller then layoff - will follow advice thanks mate

Thats going to be hard work..your going to be up and down ths teps like a yo yo do you really need to have a brush finish on the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Roller painting looks better if it is not brushed

JohnD said:
Roller painting looks better if it is not brushed

Iagree the brush drags the roller pattern and leaves a wierd effect...you might as well just brush it, it will be just as quick.

Ah me got one of those plaform ladders. So set to this morning, rolled and then laid off - came up a treat. Only took an hour and the only ladder moving was to start further back in room :D .

to leave a good finish after the brush...Does anyone still use brushes for walls in the States :confused: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back