laying patio and how to deal with bridging the DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to lay a new patio. The current one has a weird low part closest to the house. I am guessing this was done to avoid bridging the DPC. There is currently too high a drop from the existing patio doors to the step. I will remove all the existing steps. The new level of the patio would be slightly above the existing steps by the patio door. This is at least level with the air bricks. Weirdly this lowered area which has no drain or even an area where water could escape to never seems to form a pond.

I was thinking to lay the new patio over the existing old patio. Its been down for a long period, shows little movement and was laid over a substantial hardcore and concrete bed. I am thinking to leave a gulley of 200mm (Splash Strip) as diagram below from paving expert. There is no drain at the rear of the house at all so directing rainwater into a drain isn't easily achievable.

Will I need to cut then dig below the existing patio for this 200mm strip to allow water to drain to ground? In image 1 the brick wall is my neighbours conservatory. Will the splash strip need to extend along this wall as well? Could I cover the 200mm gap with a metal grating (positioned lower than the air bricks) rather than fill with stones? All comments and advice welcome, Thanks for reading!

1698579197466.png

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 34
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 34
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I feel your pain and asking for advice first is always good !

Personally I’d rip up those slabs get back down to the hardcore pit a bit of type 1 over the existing hardcore / membrane / sand then lay your slabs on a 6:1 mix

As for your drain issue I’d put some aco’s along the house , I know you said you have not drainage so I’d get a Aco soak away and locate it away from the house .
Bestwishes
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back