Patio Drainage Advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have an existing patio which runs from my bungalow down to a dwarf wall. The wall has a break in the centre which houses two steps up to the lawn area.
My problem is that when it rains heavily or I jetwash the patio the water collects at the foot of the two steps and, as it gets deeper, spreads the length of the wall. The house isn't affected at all as the water always drains towards the steps and the patio is well below the DPC.
My question is, if I lay a channel drain around the area of the steps will that be enough to allow the water to soak away underground or would it need to be connected to a drain of some sort.
I've no idea what lies under the patio as it was already laid when I moved into the house.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
What you suggest on doing would be a trial and error job I think as it would depend on a lot of things such as what type of soil you have. It isn't a bad idea though and it would help a big atleast. Do you have a manhole or drain nearby?

Thank you for your input Pigeon85.
There is no visble sign of a manhole cover or any type of existing drainage. Even the down pipes from the roof guttering disappear into the ground and not an open drain.
While I'm sure there must be some drainage, I've no idea where and I've no wish to lift the while patio to find it.

While I'm sure there must be some drainage, I've no idea where and I've no wish to lift the while patio to find it.
And no lawful right to tap into the existing drainage even if you wanted to. That's aimed at Pigeon85 really.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as the rest of your garden is obviously higher up your only choice may be to lift part of the patio and fall it around the side of the house or to a gulley or somewhere else.

And no lawful right to tap into the existing drainage even if you wanted to. That's aimed at Pigeon85 really.

As long as you notify the relevant authority and the work complies with standards then there is no problem with it

The only problem with that logic is that if you notify the relevant authority they will tell you almost certainly tell you that you are not allowed to do it and must build a soakaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back