Laying patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post so hoping for some advice.

Ive lifed an existing patio of 5.6x3.3m, it had been down for over 10 years and had started to sink slightly.

They had been laid on tough clay like spoil with a sharpe sand/cement mix and in the main had lasted really well.

Ive lifted up and planned to dig down slightly, lay some hardcore and company with a plate. The lay new concrete slabs using a sharpe sand/cement mix?

Im probably going to spot them on as the garden doesnt get much foot traffic.

Looking for advice as to if this is the best method?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
spot bedding is total crap. the pointing never lasts.
use a full bed

Well worked my ass off all weekend in good weather and the slabs are down. I put a base of hardcore down and compressed using a wacker. Laid slaps over semi wet sharp sand and cement mix and this is the final result

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAKU/Po_3pEDNX-w/w1448-h1086-no/IMG_1255.jpg

Still a few finishing touches to go like enddging with gravel, pointing around the drain cover (am painting it creame to match the slabs too)

Finished laying at 4:30pm yesterday. Rain began to our down early hours of the morning and hasnt finished. Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
Looks great. How did you cut the slabs for the inspection chamber? Also, did you have to raise or level the cover to match the paving? If so, how did you you do that? I'm curious as I have a similar project at home at the moment (paving up to/around two chambers).

I used a 4" grinder with a diamond blade attached. They were 38MM slabs so had to cut both sides on order for it safely break out. I held each slab in the correct bedding place, marked the manhole edges then used the cover as a template to get a nice curve.

The manhole itself was on the slant but only about 5mm out so didnt have to raise or drop it. Im pointing up around the slab edges and the levels are pretty good.

Did break a few slabs trying to cut it though gggrrr lol!!

Its been raining since 6am and hasnt stopped so am a bit worried as I only finished yesterday afternoon!

Thanks. This might give some relevant info, though it's mostly about working in bad weather, not bad weather afterwards.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/faq_weather01.htm

Personally I would try not to worry about it. Even though it's maybe not ideal, there's not much you can do about it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back