Patio advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:

Evening...
having started digging my lawn up to lay a patio, I've found that as well as being as tough as old boots its also laid on good old London clay. Does this mean I should dig a bit more (I'm already digging down about 300mm) and put a layer of hardcore down to help with the drainage?

Is it enough to just lay the HC or does it need whacking? I then intend to put down a layer of sharp sand followed by the slabs, and brush a sand/cement mix into the cracks. Does this sound about right? Sorry if its a bit basic , but I've never done it before and I don't want the missus blaming me when we end up with an unplanned pond in the middle of the garden!
:evil:

Sponsored Links
put down mot type 1/scalpings/roadstone as a base layer and compact that with a whacker plate. You can lay slabs on a compacted sharp sand bed, however you will get a better long term result if you lay them on a mortar bed. If you are going to lay them on sharp sand make sure you have those at the edge mortared down to create a frame to hold the rest in place.

Point them up properly, dont just brush it in. Use a 1:3 or 1:4 mix of cement and sand and make it just damp enough that you can mould it into a ball in your hand without any sticking to your hand. Trowel that into the joints with a pointing trowel.

Why are you digging down 300mm?

Cheers Thermo, is 300mm too much then? Hope it is... :p
I was told 200mm of MOT, followed by 50-60mm of S/C, then the slab. I'll be quite happy to dig less...just out of interest, what quantities of sand/hardcore are we talking about for a 27m/sq area?

is it only for foot traffic?

what type of slabs are they?

Sponsored Links
Yes, back garden, v. small.
They are riven concrete 450x450 bog standard slabs. According to the spec they can be either solid bedded or laid on sand.

if you are using mot then a minimum bed of 75mm (compacted )for the mot and 50mm for the bedding material will be ok. you will get a better long lasting result with bedding them in mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back