Laying reclaimed gym floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

We are looking at purchasing reclaimed gym flooring (like the stuff in a school hall), to be layed in our hall. It will be layed over the existing floorboards, in the same direction as the joists.

So.....

1: would it be better to lay a ply base first?
2: should we be laying the longest lengths possible?
2: should we glue or nail?
3: should we leave a 10mm gap each side or 5mm (the width of the hall is less than 1m)?

Sorry if these are questions already answered, but I'm getting very confused? :confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Those floor normally have narrow widths and often short lengths, so you do need to glue them onto WBP plywood (12mm preferred)
If you install it like this you can use all the different lengths without a problem.

Leave a gap of 10mm around.

WoodYouLike, it would seem you are the master, so I'm going to tap you up for some more help :LOL:

Should the ply be glued, nailed, screwed to the floorboards?

Could you recommend a glue to stick the new flooring to the ply?

Cheers

Use screws or staples to install the ply (every 25 cm) and then you can opt for either Lecol5500 or a flexible adhesive like Mapei P990

Sponsored Links
I've just checked the weather, & it looks rubbish, so I'm going to have a stab at this @ the weekend. Thanks for you help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back