Laying sawn mint sandstone patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope you guys can help me on a little issue I have at the moment.

I am attempting to lay sawn mint sandstone paving. I am using a 7-1 ratio of sharp sand and cement, not too wet, just so it clumps together in a ball. I am using a full bed and not spot bedding. This is what my research has told me.

Problem 1: the slabs haven't really adhered to the bed. I have now taken up the first few sq meters I have laid and there is very little adhesion. Should the mortar be wetter to overcome this?

Problem 2: I have deliberately kept the mortar drier as I know sandstone is very absorbant and to try and stop potential staining. Still, The slabs have absorbed the water in the mortar and there were wet patches on the surface of the slabs. These have lessened in appearance today but there is still some marks. Will these completely dry over time or are they stained permanently and ruined!?

You're help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Problem 1 they don't need to adhere as such - in the old Lime mortar - days it was said the mortar held the bricks apart, not stuck them together. Problem 2, I don't know :notworthy: Have you looked at www.pavingexpert.com

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have looked at paving expert, but can't seem to find the answers to my problems exactly.

Sponsored Links
Adhesion problems and staining problems can both be dealt with by using a bond bridge. See paving expert for details.

The other thing to do I to pre-wet the slabs. Mint I super porous meaning it sucks up water fast so but having the flags damp they don't suck up water so violently and draw the moisture from the bedding. This will help adhesion and staining.

Keep the paving damp by misting every half hour whilst laying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back