laying stone floors onto earth etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hallway of my house is damp as its got a concrete floor laid straight onto earth which is pushing damp around. Its an old property and should have a stone/solid floor.

I'm thinking of going the traditional route of laying some natural stone down. What sort of 'bed' should this be on? Some compacted stone over soil, covered in a sharp sand, stone on top with lime mortar joints?

Sponsored Links
Are you actually proposing laying stone pavers laid on the earth? With no amp proof membrane or insulation?

Sponsored Links
Hmm I think you're nuts! Anyway (assuming you ignore all Building Regs) have a look see at http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

The floor will also be freezing cold, as it would have been originally when the house was built.

I know the floor will be cooler, however its on about 1.5ft of raised earth that'll insulate it to a degree, its only a central passage with the front door one side, back door the other.

Its currently got 6 inch of concrete direct to the earth, from a building regs point of view I'm not sure how/why it would affect it, i'm only effectively replacing whats there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back