Possible damp floor and stone tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of lifting my old tile floor in order to put down a new one.

the floor is solid concrete and as far as i know is laid directly onto earth - the room is about 100 years old.

there's a spot on the floor which seems to be a little damp - I didn't know about it until the floor was lifted. I can't really see where this could be coming from, so not sure how best to deal with it.

So what I'd like to know is if I were to lay the new tiles (travertine stone), is it possible that any dampness from the floor would come through the stone tile and stain it? Or would the adhesive seal it?

I know the best option would be to lift the floor completely, but this would be a huge job and as it's such a small damp spot, which must have been there for decades, I'm inclined to leave it as it, but don't want to damage my tiles in the process!

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
I think you could paint on a dpm, something like Synthapruf, before laying the new floor.

Ok thanks, I'll look into that.

Without doing so do you think the stone might absorb some of the dampness and stain the surface?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back