Laying the WBP pre tiliing

All sounds good. The pipe clips can be placed over the pipes directly adjacent to the joists and you can screw them in to the side of the joists by angling the screws accordingly. Be careful that you don't overtighten them, as they have a habit of ripping, especially if you're using a drill screwdriver!

As for the flooring, there's no harm in going to somewhere like B&Q and getting them cut to size (might cost a few quid more, but for the sake of convenience...). Saves you the hassle, plus it means you might be able to get them in your car or on a roofrack, plus the smaller pieces won't be so heavy to manhandle around the place ;)

What sort of car have you got?

Teacher eh? Of what and what age group?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm finishing off my teaching degree at brighton university to teach secondary school kids IT! Nightmare I know! So in my long holidays I'm aiming to get our 1940's house done up and looking good. We've had it for 3 years now and not done anything like what we wanted to do with it yet..... life is just so busy!

Right....

Here's what we bought...

http://www.bathstore.com/_application/search_results.php?q=atlas&x=0&y=0
(the Atlas side panel - 800 Adjustment range: 775-800mm.)

And the tray is 900 x 760
http://www.bathstore.com/_application/bathstore/products/showers/slimline-shower-trays/rectangular/
(the first one on that page - but the waste hole is along in the middle of the short edge.) It's nice and slimline.... hope that'll be ok?! We bought the Atlas Shower High Flow Waste for £25 too.

Right here are the photos of the rest of the room and I've had an accurate measure too.....

Ok the width from the edge of the stud wall (i.e. the exposed wooden batten) to the brick work (not the render) is 790mm.
and
the width from the edge of the stud wall (i.e. the exposed wooden batten) to the render is 775mm.

Let me know what you think I should do about fitting the tray.... I haven't rendered in the void on the bottom left hand corner yet because I didn't know if I'd need the additional couple of cm's.

Here's a shot of the window that I put in due to the room being so dark and gloomy! I have a confession though.... I cut from the inside (using a massive petrol cutting machine hired from HSS) but I can't do heights up ladders so I left that part to a builder to do who charged me £100 to finishes off the job leaving me with all the rubble to take away. Not bad hey? I bought the window for £75 from a trade place. The walls are sooooo thick and they are solid rather than cavity.

Ahhhhh you're probably gonna ask about those wires too!! Arrgghhh!! more mess left by the previous owners! I'll go on to that another time!

Without digging up details of room dimensions from another of your posts, am I correct in assuming that you intend to create a walk-in shower area with the tray coming out beyond the recess and using the end panel accordingly?

Now, this brings several possibilities with regard to the tray. You could board over the floor as normal and put the tray on that. Or, you could put plywood between the joists under the tray, thus lowering any step created by the tray anyway. The tray itself will be bedded on wet mortar IMO to help get it precisely level and give it full support. The next problem will thus be the drainage (we'll talk about the pipework in due course), since both these described options will rely on you being able to run drainage pipes along the line of the joists to the outside wall - I don't know whether this marries up with the layout of your house.

With regard to the dimensions of the space, there's no reason why you shouldn't build a false wall where the existing shower unit is currently positioned, which will be advantageous in several ways - running pipework, insulation (can't get enough of it :rolleyes: ), not having to chop out all of that bit of floorboard still there, not having to render that little bit, make the walk-in a bit wider....etc, etc

As for when to install the tray, hmm. Caution suggests that this should be left to the last minute, but for ease of installing drainage and checking for leaks, it could be done prior to fitting the ply floor. This mean that you would have to go to considerable lengths to protect it (cardboard, dustsheets etc) while you continue with your work, but it would enable you build up the surrounding walls around it to get a nigh on perfect fit!

Good job with the window - is it Rehau (can't make out the labels)

Thanks for your post.

I'm a little confused by some of the things you've written.

Maybe becuase it's very late at night... early in the morning.

The location of the new shower tray will be exactly where the old one was.

i.e. the fist and second photo right at the end. You can see the white waste pipe already run leading to a soil stack on the outside of the house.

I took all the plasterboard off the right hand side wall due to it not being MR plasterboard and it was extremely warped. It seems that the stud wall is not exaclt straight and where the nearest vertical struts are in the second photo they aren't flush with the ones further along..... another bad job by the previous owners!

I've included the dimensions in the last post along with the shower screen and tray dimension.... wondered what you thought.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
http://www.bathstore.com/_application/search_results.php?q=atlas&x=0&y=0
(the Atlas side panel - 800 Adjustment range: 775-800mm.)

This threw me a bit, since a side panel isn't a door.
However, assuming it was a typo, it doesn't really change much of my shower tray installation advice. It depends on whether you want the tray to have a small step in or not. The only complication is the waste pipe, the exit through the walls being as previously described or by drilling a hole through the centre of the joist and the the wall (you'll need to hire a core drill for this) and attaching a new boss strap to the soil pipe and sealing up the existing connection into the stack. Is the stack plastic or cast iron?

The other way, which utilises the existing waste pipe will require you building a raised platform (from 3 or 4 by 2 timbers), which you can screw directly to the joists at right angles to them. This will then be covered by ply and the tray will be bedded either on mortar ar directly onto the ply (read the instructions that come with the tray - they usually specify their preferred method). If you choose this way, then the frame itself (and thus the flooring ply on top of it) can be made precisely level by packing wedges between the timbers and the studs as you build it. The trouble with this frame will be that you'll have difficulties connecting the shower waste to it, as you will have to create an elongated "U" trap from plastic pipe which has to go beneath the timbers of the frame and up to connect to the existing pipe.

If it were me, in my own house, I'd bite the bullet and go for having the tray flat on the floor - you've gone to a lot of effort so far, and a bit more is neither here nor there. (Personally, I'd replace the stack if it's cast iron, and use new soil pipe for the WC since removing it now will make it much easier to drop the flooring down and under that stud wall near the door. But then, I would wouldn't I, but I don't mind heights too much)

With regard to the wayward studwork - there is nothing to stop you putting some (drywall) adhesive onto the adjacent studs, putting plasterboard up and screwing it to the stud that stands proud and adjusting it so you create a perfect right angle in the corner. Leave it a few hours to go off, then screw the board through the adhesive into the end studs. Thus the wall will be true and square, which is of course highly desirable.

Final thought for the time being, especially with regard to the window - you should really have building reg approval for this work (who will require details and calculations for what lintel has been installed to support the wall and roof above it). I know it's a refurb of an existing room, but the wiring (should be removed) worries me a bit- this, the cross bonding, the replacement of any cables for an upgraded electric shower, and the installation of an extractor fan really should be done by an electrician, which won't cost that much really in the grand plan of things.

What a difficult day trying to fit these noggings!!! Arrggghhh!

I spent a coupld of hours trying to fit them without having to chop away any more floor boards but after the second one was installed I couldn't do it anymore.

The amount of screws I've gone through with mased heads is unreal! I just can't get the electric screw driver to stay in the head!

Right here's the photos so far for some advice....

Only the first two from the left are screwed in so far... I've not got any energy left today to screw the two on the right in yet.

Let me know your thoughts chaps.....

Cheers!

chriselevate, I just found you topic, maybe it's already too late for this but I would check on the electrical forum about that cable in the floor void. It might be not a good idea to have it covered with loft insulation. Usually they advice to put it in a conduit if it has to run under the insulation.

Anyway - good luck with your project!

Nothing wrong with having the cables running in contact with the ceiling below and covered with rockwool - recognised installation method in the new 17th edition regs. The insulation does de-rate the current carrying capacity of the cable (so does putting it in conduit), though if it's for a 6A lighting circuit it will be fine.

Try to avoid completely surrounding the cables with insulation - this reduces their capacity by 50% and it looks like you have a much heavier cable there as well as the lighting and this might be a problem even if in contact with th e ceiling - post details on the Electric UK forum - cable size (cross section area of conductor) and type/rating of MCB/fuse and someone will look it up for you and check if it's still OK.

The point about putting cable in conduit when running on/in insulation is more to do with chemical reactions between the PVC of the cable and some types of foam and polystyrene insulation - rockwool is not a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back