laying vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm putting vinyl down in the bathroom putting 3mm hardboard over floorboards.
Is this what I should do.
Brush each hardboard panel down with water before fixing and leave overnight
Lay the hardboard rough side up
Cut the vinyl with about 100mm over lay
Now I thought you used glue to fix the vinyl down is this right or do you just lay it without glue?

Please help

Then fit skirting boards

Thanks Stuart

Sponsored Links
hi fit the board smooth side up and you will also need to fit these without any gaps along the sides and around the base of the toilet and sink pedestal

as for glueing you have a choice of sticking all over or around the perimiter by using spray glue to seal the board approx 2" band all around then using double sised tape to fix the viynl down ( stick tape down first before the viynl )

fit the covering all arond by leaving about 2" up the skirting walls ( peel the backing off the tape prior to rough cutting the viynl in ) , fitting around the toilet and sink , firstly cut one slice down the center of the toilet and sink ped, then cut down little 'Vs' until fitted around the units
once you have done that and the vinyl is flat you can then start to fit.....

use a sharp blade !! hold the stanley at approx 45deg and start to cut.
very carefully as you only get one chance to fit it right

hope this helps
gareth

i would recommened plywood over hardboard if the budget allows

Vinyl flooring should be loose laid or fully bonded. It can be permeter glued on two walls only at 90 degres to each other.

Spray glue must be antiplas glue if you use and the double sided tape must also be antiplas. (not normal carpet tape)

if you use the wrong glue/tape then it will discolour the flooring, warp the permiter out of shape and will turn into a horrible sticky goo.

Sponsored Links
Firstly use flooring grade ply 4mm thick. Then if it’s a cushion vinyl you don’t need to stick it necessarily, but standard sheets vinyls or vinyl tiles must be fully adhered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back