Laying wood floors through doorways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm laying oak flooring 130mm throughout the entire ground floor of my house.

As it will need to go through door openings one into the hall from living room and then from hall into dinning room i am worried that at some stage i will get to a wall and the gap left will require a plank that will need to be to narrow .

I'm asuming i should do each room seperate so i can measure from the centre of the room so i am not left with any narrow gaps at any walls but if i do that how do i do the join in the door way.

Sponsored Links
No amount of measuring will allow you to fit a full plank around the perimiter walls. You will have to make cuts.

Thanks

What is the thinnest a plank should be up against a wall.

I'm laying parallel through one doorway and I was thinking of placing the first two boards in the doorway ,so i would start to lay in the doorway so i can ensure a decent width of board either side of the wall .

Any problems with this.

Sponsored Links
As thin as it has to be to fit in the gap. Leave an expansion gap of @ 15mm to each wall and cover with skirting or beading.
Don't forget you also need the same expansion gap under door frames.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back