Wood floor - doorway, not sure what to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's all sorts of useful info on laying wood floors and fitting around architraves, going through door ways etc, but not when you have a doorway that will have a different surface on the other side.

I'll be laying planks 90 degrees to the original floor boards. Am I best off starting at the opposite wall and ending up possibly having to cut down the plank width to get it to fit the doorway as I want (to the black line) or start at the door way with a full plank and then cut the entire first row to fit?

Long term a new carpet will be fitted (with threshold) where the current old, old carpet is.

Or any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
I would measure the distance to see if you'll have a slim cut either end

Then start from the door so there is as big a piece as possible there as that will take the most impact.
The black line you have drawn should be a bit further into the room so the closed door will cover the join.

I always start in corner of room and work back to doorways.You need to measure carefully to avoid any thin sections at opposite wall .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back