LAYING WOODEN FLOORING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be laying a realwood floor 15mm thickness using secret nailing- i am going to lay down plywood over existing floorboards - what thickness plywood do i need and do i need to screw down or nail down?? - when secret nailing the floor after the plywood am i looking to go through both the plywood and the floorboards -

anyone help??

Sponsored Links
Hi

I would recommends screwing the 18mm ply to your existing floorboards, ideally locating the joists below as to not hit any pipes or electrics underneath.

The new floor can then be nailed on top.

Ideally use a porta-nailer see here

http://www.oakbydesign.co.uk/products/oak flooring.html#secret

You must allow the timber to acclimatise for at least 10-14 days before laying.

Yours

Richard

www.oakbydesign.co.uk

PS There are other considerations to bear in mind, like underfloor heating, width of board, explansion gaps etc..

Hope this helps

Thickness of the plywood (exterior grade) depends on the levelness of the existing floorboards. You should use 6mm at least, 12mm preferable (18mm is loadbearing and when existing floorboards in good nick a bit OTT).

Screw (counter sink) every 25cm - do note first where pipes/wires etc can be hiding underneath existing floorboards, you wouldn't be the first!

If you plan to secret nail you have to use at least 45 - 50mm long nails. Nail in an angle, use a Portanailer or the likes.

How wide is your room? See here for other tips on solid floors:
Solid Floors - what to note

hiya i have just taken up the old laminate - the floorboards are in pretty good nick - would it be possible to lay straight onto floorboards or would this cause problems bevelling etc

Sponsored Links
You could lay straight over the existing boards if the new boards are installed perpendicular to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back