Layout suggestions - downstairs loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Hope you can help me with suggestions for the layout of a kitchen extension we are planning and where to reposition the downstairs loo.

We currently have a single storey flat roof kitchen extension which is attached to a dining room. It is a narrow galley kitchen - about half the width of our house. (Couple of metres wide about 4m long). When you enter the dining room off the hall you have to walk diagonally through the dining room to get to the kitchen door - which is not ideal. At the end of the kitchen - just opposite the back door is a tiny downstairs loo with no sink and only one door separating the loo from the kitchen. The squeeze to get out of the back door is really annoying and virtually impossible with a washing basket. Galley kitchens are always tight - but add a downstairs loo.....

Our idea is to extend the kitchen to the full width of the house. Put french doors or something similar on the back wall leading out to the garden. This should really open up the kitchen, making it more square and by putting the glazed foors in - the kitchen would be more symetrical. We also intend move the entrance into the kitchen by knocking through an archway from the dining room into the kitchen - parallel to the doorway off the hall - so you just have to walk in a straight line - rather than diagonally. (Where we plan to put the archway is a window at the minute)Are you with me so far? We will probably make the extension with a mono pitched roof adjoining the neighbours extension.

The only question is where to move the downstairs loo to? We could keep it in the corner of the kitchen - where it currently is, but add a vestibule area - so its not straight off the kitchen. But I think this might spoil the look of the kitchen and reduce the amount of space we have at the end of the kitchen to install some nice big french doors.

What do you think of moving the loo so that it is positioned between the dining room and the kitchen extension? It could be accessed by going through the exisiting door from the dining room into the kitchen - but appears as a section or corner cut out of the kitchen side - can't be accessed from the kitchen though (I.e. when you walk through the archway into the new kitchen there will be a small stud walled section notched out of the kitchen)

Its so hard to explain ideas without sketching it out!

I'm not too keen on the idea of walking straight from a dining room into a loo, so propose again a small vesitibule area (dead space really) before the door into the loo.

Not given any consideration to drainage soil pipes etc - but in principal does that layout sound ok - or any other suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Well I wasn't expecting a full fledged plan just a roughly to scale sketch, take a photo of it and upload it. Describing plans with text is never easy. You could also do a lot worse than get to grips with SKetchup. Its free and very very easy to use and great fun too! Have a squint here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=228425 Even Coljack can use it!

edit: http://sketchup.google.com/download/ SkecthUp 7

Sponsored Links
Its fine to have the loo straight off the kitchen. The requirement for a lobby was removed from regs years ago, provided a wash basin is included in the loo.
Anyway, I'm doing a similar extension, but the orignal kitchen leads straight off the hall. I've relayed the floor to include drainage so I can add a loo straight off the hall, by moving the start of the kitchen and extending the hall. Toilet room will be approx 1.5m x 1m in size.
If you have suspended wood floors in the dining room, you could possibly put a soil pipe underneath to avoid digging the floor up (can be complicated by joist direction).
We did this to avoid having the loo cutting a corner out of the kitchen where we wanted an arched window overlooking the garden.
Simon.

Its fine to have the loo straight off the kitchen. The requirement for a lobby was removed from regs years ago, provided a wash basin is included in the loo.
Anyway, I'm doing a similar extension, but the orignal kitchen leads straight off the hall. I've relayed the floor to include drainage so I can add a loo straight off the hall, by moving the start of the kitchen and extending the hall. Toilet room will be approx 1.5m x 1m in size.
If you have suspended wood floors in the dining room, you could possibly put a soil pipe underneath to avoid digging the floor up (can be complicated by joist direction).
We did this to avoid having the loo cutting a corner out of the kitchen where we wanted an arched window overlooking the garden.
Simon.

Thanks Simon - I think it would be our ideal scenario to have the loo coming off the hall - like you're doing. I think thats where they should go really. For us though its not a possibility sadly. We do have understairs storage - but I think it would be a nightmare job converting to a loo as the electricty mains comes in there and its our only storage place (no garage) so don't really want to loose it.

The dining room does have a suspended wooden floor - but our idea is to notch part of the kitchen out rather than the dining room - but access it from the dining room - and the current kitchen extension has a solid concrete floor - so may be a problem. The idea is to have the back of the toilet onto the new extension, so maybe a soil pipe can be incorporated into the new groundwork....hmmmm

Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

I'd put your toilet off the hallway rather than the kitchen as there would be nothing worse cooking a sunday roast while someone is having a huge stinky dump right next to you especially after a saturday night out on the beer and curry

:eek: Put the toilet next to the front door and dump when unwanted callers call :idea:

I'd put your toilet off the hallway rather than the kitchen as there would be nothing worse cooking a sunday roast while someone is having a huge stinky dump right next to you especially after a saturday night out on the beer and curry

Exactly - thats why I was asking about putting it off the dining room (with a lobby area - i.e. 2 doors) there would be no access off the kitchen but would use some of the kitchen space. We have no way of putting it by the front door or off the hallway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back