LCD mounting problems ... Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just purchased a 6yr old house about 2 months ago. Problem is that over the fireplace it has a recessed area for a CRT tv but I have a 42" lcd tv. The measurement of the inside of the hole is 33"length, 24" depth, 48" width, HOWEVER the width of the outside of the hole is only 40" so if we put the tv inside it will block parts of the tv. I really don't know what options I have but Id like cover the hole, make a mantle (lol or purchase one) and mount the tv there because right now it's on a stand blocking the fireplace. How can a cover that hole and mount it with the studs being at least 18" in that hole? I wanted to do something that's not too expense --IF that's even possible :?: :?:

Please help :confused:

Here is a picture of what it looks like...

Sponsored Links
I just purchased a 6yr old house about 2 months ago. Problem is that over the fireplace it has a recessed area for a CRT tv but I have a 42" lcd tv. The measurement of the inside of the hole is 33"length, 24" depth, 48" width, HOWEVER the width of the outside of the hole is only 40" so if we put the tv inside it will block parts of the tv. I really don't know what options I have but Id like cover the hole, make a mantle (lol or purchase one) and mount the tv there because right now it's on a stand blocking the fireplace. How can a cover that hole and mount it with the studs being at least 18" in that hole? I wanted to do something that's not too expense --IF that's even possible :?: :?:

Please help :confused:

Here is a picture of what it looks like...

If it were me, id be considering the following....

1) Its possible to buy TV brackets that fix to the wall then come out from the wall and allow the tv to be mounted on it. So, if you could get one long enough, you could fix it to the back wall in the hole and have the tv "floating" right at the front of the hole abouve the fire place.

2) if you carnt get a long bracket, you could build a sub frame inside the hole and still mount the tv on a bracket above the fireplace.

3) have a pro in (if needs be) and get the curvatures of the arch squared off so the tv fits in it and stand it on its base that came with it.

4) fit a shelf of sorts above the fireplace and level with the bottom of the hole and stand the tv on there

5) fit the above shelf slightly lower, and shelve out the top section of the hole and put appliances such as sky boxes, amps etc on those shelves, just above the tv.

6) board the hole up (properly) and mount the tv on a bracket on the new bit of wall

Obviously you dont have to go with any of the above...but hopefully it'll get you thinking along the right lines and its something to go at.

hope that helps !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back