LCD mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking to mount my 37 inch TV on a brick wall chimney (I've boarded up the fireplace etc). The TV weighs 17.5 kg. Will 5 10mm diameter coach screws that are 50mm long in plastic rawl plugs keep it there or do I need screws, bolts that are larger? thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as they're going into something solid I'd say they would yes.

People fit fewer, smaller screws to hold kitchen cabinets to the wall they then load with food tins.

Will 5 10mm diameter coach screws that are 50mm long in plastic rawl plugs keep it there or do I need screws, bolts that are larger? thanks
They'll do but are seriously OTT. You're going to have to drill some damned big holes just for the plugs. Because the screw diameter is so big it will fill the diameter of the bracket mounting holes and leave very little wiggle room. So if your drilling is just a fraction off then the bracket may be lopsided without much adjustment space left.

In most cases standard 3" woodscrews with brown rawlplugs are more that adequate. I routinely hang TV brackets on walls. I strength test the fixing by hanging off them. I weigh (ahem) considerably more than 17.5kg ;) It's not so much the size of the screw as the hold it has in the material it is screwed in to. Get a fixing in to solid brick and you're laughing. Hit dry crumbly mortar between the bricks.... you get the point.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back