Lead flashing re-mortar - some form of sealant first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I know this topic's been discussed before but I've a question that I can't find having been asked previously
I have some lead flashing where the mortar's come out, which I'll replace (or maybe use a lead mastic instead). I've read some advice that says to paint lead with some form of sealant before re-mortaring, and some advice doesn't mention that. Some mentions PVA in the mortar to help it stick to the lead. What's the experts' views on here about those two? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I know this topic's been discussed before but I've a question that I can't find having been asked previously
I have some lead flashing where the mortar's come out, which I'll replace (or maybe use a lead mastic instead). I've read some advice that says to paint lead with some form of sealant before re-mortaring, and some advice doesn't mention that. Some mentions PVA in the mortar to help it stick to the lead. What's the experts' views on here about those two? Thanks for any advice.

When my lead flashing went south, I dug out the mortar with a plugging chisel, used hall clips (v-shaped clips you chisel into place), and then filled with Leadmate - you can use mortar instead. If it's new lead, you'd generally use a bit of patination oil, but if you're re-using lead, it will already have an oxidised coat. I wouldn't bother with PVA, just make sure the channel is well cleaned of dust/loose mortar, and spray it with a bit of water.

This was the one and only time I'd done any lead-work, so take that into account. ;)

[
When my lead flashing went south, I dug out the mortar with a plugging chisel, used hall clips (v-shaped clips you chisel into place), and then filled with Leadmate -
This was the one and only time I'd done any lead-work, so take that into account. ;)
1st. + only time but totally correct ;) better than mortar.

Sponsored Links

When my lead flashing went south, I dug out the mortar with a plugging chisel, used hall clips (v-shaped clips you chisel into place), and then filled with Leadmate - you can use mortar instead. If it's new lead, you'd generally use a bit of patination oil, but if you're re-using lead, it will already have an oxidised coat. I wouldn't bother with PVA, just make sure the channel is well cleaned of dust/loose mortar, and spray it with a bit of water.

Hi Grenage, thanks for this. Just to check - you sprayed with water before using a mastic? (Just asking cos the Leadmate tube says surfaces to be dry).

Hey-ho, job done. Two things I learned - Screwfix's version isn't the same shade as Leadmate, I had to nip out for another tube of stuff. And you can't smooth it off with a wet finger like you can with other mastics, how you put it on is how it stays and if you see a gap and want to smooth the stuff into/over it, you need to be prepared for a claggy messy finish where you've been!

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back