Lead in plumbing solder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a lot of the plumbing in my property dates back to the 70’s / 80’s should I be concerned about lead in the soldered fittings?

I don't like the idea of my kids drinking leaded water!

Sponsored Links
I think you can have a sample analysed by your water undertaker

Sponsored Links
It is illegal now to use leaded solder in water supply pipes.

But in my view the amount of lead which would get into the drinking water would be very small.

Unless you live in an area when the water is contaminated by peat or something similar.

No, not really. There are other things to worry about. CO poisoning, unsafe electrical wiring, air quality, asbestos etc etc.

The solder joints work by heating the copper until the solder melts. In it's liquid state, it is wicked between the copper surfaces to seal the joint. Very little solder enters the pipe itself if done properly.

If there is exposed solder, the lead will leach into the water, and the longer the water stands, the higher the concentration. If you are concerned, just run the water to flush through fresh water.

If you are truly worried, test the water. You can buy kits from Amazon for a few pounds. If the level is high, you'll need to think about replacing every joint in both cold and hot water pipes to all outlets.

Ironically, the word "plumber" comes from the latin for lead worker!

Probably not the pipes.

You should only be drinking water from a tap directly connected to the mains water supply. That should ideally be reconnected with lead free joints or in plastic.

When bathing or showering you should not be drinking the water.

got news for you. look underneath the stop cock inside the house. I'll have a guess its fed by a pipe that is made totally of lead. Ours is anyway and was built in 1970.

got news for you. look underneath the stop cock inside the house. I'll have a guess its fed by a pipe that is made totally of lead. Ours is anyway and was built in 1970.
No, it was changed sometime before we moved in

No problem at all then
The lead won't be leached out and internal of pipes long been coated by the hard water.
Sorry according to Severn Trent it’s Moderately hard

Is it possible to request a supplier to test the lead content?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back