Lead Mains Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, We have an old mains water pipe in our house which is lead. It has given us a few headaches with leaks which have been repaired but the plumber has now suggested we have the whole pipe replaced from where it enters our house to the stopcock in a back room. Because the pipe is not in a straight line, he has suggested using a flexible pipe. Can anyone tell us whether this is a good solution and would it be as robust as a solid pipe? Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Sponsored Links
It is normal nowadays to use a continuous plastic pipe for underfloor mains water pipes.

Ideally it should be insulated but that's only to prevent freezing.

Many would use the blue polypipe as used for supplies outdoors.

Others would think of a reason why you should not use it indoors!

Tony

Hi Tony, Thank you for your reply. Will go ahead and have it done, nice to know it is the right thing to do. Many thanks.

You have not bothered to put your location in your profile!

Depending on your location my reply might have been different!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony, Being a novice, we didn't appreciate it would matter. We are in Sussex, many thanks.

That might make it different!

There has been a problem in some country areas because rats and mice sometimes chew plastic pipes.

Its not a big problem and there are often rats in agricultural areas where grain is grown are common.

In winter a nice warm underfloor is attractive for them! Whilst there they could do a bit of chewing.

In London there are lots of rats but I only rarely come across chewed plastic pipes. Been called to some boilers damaged by chewing on wires though.

I don't see what they like to chew. There is no food value so only can think they like the feeling.

The lid of my wheelie bin has been chewed! Possibly by squirrels?

Tony

Thank you Tony, the only squirrels I see are those hopping around the back fences, as for mice, the only ones I find are dead ones on my kitchen floor courtesy of our cat who has brought them in as gifts although it's a bit naughty of her to chew them first. I think I will try and insulate the pipes when the work is done and try to secure them firmly with tape - just hope no rats turn up. Again, many thanks for your help.

Blue poly pipes under suspended floors should be insulated but its very rare that I ever see any insulation on them!

Tony

Thanks Tony, the floors are suspended so will definitely try and wrap up as much of the pipework as possible. Work being done tomorrow, heigh ho onwards and upwards! Again, many thanks.

It's very easy to push Climaflex over a polypipe while it's being laid, you don't even have to cut open the slit, so it is less likely to come off at a curve. Try to get the "water regs" BS grade, which is as thick as your arm. you can get it at any DIY shed or builders/plumbers merchant. High street shops may only have the thinner grade, which will be better than nothing.

If you are having the work done tomorrow it will be too late to ask the water co to test your drinking water for lead content, which might have led to a grant or subsidy.

Thank you John D for the helpful information. I rather think it will be me fitting the insulation after the work has been finished but from your message it sounds easier than I thought it would be. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back