moving lead main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have just purchased our neighbours house and are going to take some of the land .We have realised that the main water supply to the property
runs through this piece of land. we want to renew and move the main which will be done by our plumber however thames water will have to complete the work beyond our boundary line and link the pipes to the original water main stopcock. Does anyone know roughly how much this will cost us. We are aware thames water will charge us to come and give us a quote so it would be useful to have some idea from someone who has already had similar work done.( the pipe will be moved approximatedly 6 foot)

Sponsored Links
they won't do it free

however, if it is a lead pipe, they may offer a subsidy to replace the old lead pipe with plastic, and in that case will also replace that part of the service pipe outside your boundary (this will make it much easier to connect.

to see if you qualify for this, contact them and say you have a lead water pipe, and you want them to test the water for lead. Be quick about this (when I had one, they were so slow turning up to test it that by the time they arrived, I had already replaced the lead pipe, so I got no subsidy)

if by any chance your old pipe is leaking, they also offer a subsidy of £210 towards your cost of replacing it. Mine was. Maybe your is too?

You will have to bury the old pipe at least 750mm below ground level to protect against freezing, and they will inspect it (unless you use one of their approved plumbers who certifies it)

I recommend using at least 25mm pipe, and putting a stopcock at the boundary as well as one at the new house. Bigger pipe will giove you better flow which is very handy with modern plumbing systems. You can tee off for a garden tap or two while you're at it, with its own underground stopcock. This adds very little to the cost if done at the same time, but a lot if done separately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back