Main Water Pipe Renewal

R

ryanj

Around this area, there seems to be a water renewal going on, randomly interupting our water supply and distrupting road traffic. And as I was on a walk with the dog, I decided to have a little look down the hole where we get our water from the water main. This stopcock-type thing actually supplies us and our neighbours, which seems to be a problem, as whenever they run something requiring a great deal of water, we seem to get affected by low-pressure water. The pipe is lead. On the following diagram, the blue lines show the route of the existing water main, and the tee-off to our houses.

wmaintemp.gif

The pipe being lead, the pressure problems, and the fact that a kitchen renewal should be underway this year, makes me think that this pipe could be replaced by perhaps a nice new 25mm blue plastic-type one. Would the water company install a new stopcock at the front of the property and let us take the pipe from there? (the red route)

Also, how do pipes tend to run in properties, in the void underneath the floors? And do we "own" the pipe after it leaves the water companys stopcock?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
See if the water company have a website it should give you the information you want.Basically they want you to get off lead and you have to submit a form for approval. If approved, you have to arrange the laying of the new pipe to their standard but at your cost and then they will connect it to the mains for free. The pipe has to be inside another tube with insulation and about 3ft deep. Somehow you need to cap off the existing supply and switch to the new supply which is ok, except you don't want to be without water for a long period.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I daresay Mandate's reply applies exactly in his area, but in mine practically everything would be different. The water is sufficiently hard that they give no encouragement to get off lead, and everything you want to change you'd pay plenty for. They don't allow shared mains like yours for new installs, but again, don't share any costs you will incur.
And on my patch they don't put the water pipe in another pipe except where it goes through a wall!

Sponsored Links
Lead pipes will be an issue for all water suppliers when the maximum level reduces in the next few years (set by europe).

If the water company are renewing water mains then they will have to renew all customer ferrules at the same time so it is worth contacting them to see if they will relocate yours. They will probably by quite accomodating but the cost will most likely be yours to bear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back