Lead paint - mid-removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice about lead paint please.

I live in a Victorian property and the paint on my front door frame was falling off, so I decided to strip it and repaint.
The decision to strip rather than paint over, was because the paint was in such bad condition and sanding would have created lots of dust - I’m sure that there is lead paint present.

I started using chemical stripper and a scraper, but it was so ineffective that the job would have taken weeks in my spare time with the potential for greater risk.

Therefore, I eventually decided to use a heat gun (standard B&Q one, on the low setting).
I was careful not to burn any paint, but I did observe some fumes and some drifted into the house (I only used the heat gun on the outside of the frame), and the smoke alarm in my hallway was set off.
I understood that a heat gun was okay to use on lead paint, with care.

Long story short, I still have work to do, to finish stripping the door frame, but I am now really concerned that I may have contaminated my house.

What happens with lead fumes; do they settle and somehow revert back to lead dust?

I want to test for the presence of lead IN DUST on things in my home, but can’t find anything available off the shelf!!

Firstly, can anyone recommend a lead dust testing product available from a bricks and mortar shop?

Secondly, am I worrying unnecessarily?

I haven’t done any sanding and have cleaned up all the paint fragments, every time I’ve done any work.

I have 2 children under 5 (currently out of the house, but due back later), and I’m concerned about the possibility of lead dust having contaminated the carpet and soft furnishings in our home.
How far do the fumes spread, anyway?!

There is very little detailed information, other than about what you shouldn’t do - but not about what to do after the fact.
Or why the fumes are dangerous other than if you directly inhale them.

I called defra and the HSE, but no joy.

I plan to hire a RugDoctor when I’ve finished (hopefully this weekend), to clean the carpets downstairs, sofa, etc..

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
"Secondly, am I worrying unnecessarily?"

I'd be inclined to say "yes".

Don’t worry.

Were you alive when there was lead in petrol? You’ll have breathed in much more from that.

If you were working full time doing this then you should worry, but as a one-off it is not a concern.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.

I’m really only concerned about my kids, because they’re more vulnerable to the effects, but I agree that it’s probably okay.
As you say, it’s a one-off and the work (and most of any fumes) is outside.

As I said, as a precaution, when I’m finished, I’m going to wash the carpets in the hallway, stairs, etc., so that should take care of that.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back