paint stripping and lead paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

im in a pickle.
ive stripped and stained the majortity of our houses door frames and skirts.

only then did i remember somthing about lead based paint.

our house was built in 1949.

also when i stirpped the paint there evidence of green paint underneath and sometime a congielded yellow glue like substance.

after some research i found that it can be most harmfull to toddlers and pregnant women.GREAT!! we got both.

i want to rush out and get a lead tester from homebase but others say they are inconclusive.

i've virtually finished the job now. Ive usually had the windows open most times when stipping as the smoke alarm gets set off.
i also did some sanding post stirpping.

i'm concered there may be lead dust particles still in the air which could be dangerous.(if i havent sdne damage already)

can anybody please advise at this point as i'm a little worried.

i have been stripping for 3 or 4 day now. i feel fine. (the odd mild headache assumedly from paint fumes) does anyone know how quickly something can show side effects?

any help would be great thanks?

Sponsored Links
saw this on website.

NOTE TESTING FOR LEAD: The most widely used methods to test for is the scratch test. This is done through all layers of paint on a surface and sodium sulfide is plied. If the scratch turns black, the paint probably contains lead.

is this true.

i dont get black marks when scratching the paint.
or the green paint underneath.

doctor, hospital, blood test.

it may be nothing.

It's the fine dust particles more than the transient fumes. You need a good vac with microfilter. It is not a quick-acting poison, it hangsaround until you clean it all up, and can take many years after exposure to show the damage. I have an idea that small children playing on the floor are more likely to be exposed to the dust, and also to get it on their hands and suck their thumbs or eat without washing their hands.

I know old builder who has early onset dementia possibly caused by working with lead (started before he reached retirement age).

Not trying to frighten you, but a DIY forum is mostly staffed by people who are not experts on heavy metal poisoning.

I am just a householder and know next to nothing.

if it had of been lead poisoning you would know all about it, its like an awful hangover / cold and it last for a couple of days you feel really dopey and dizzy.

i went to my doctor about it cause i felt really annoyed that my boss had knowingly let me strip lead paint without protection, she basically said i was a young man and a couple of days out of my life exposed to lead would have no long term health effects and any test she did would come up inconclusive because it needed to be long term exposure over the course of years.

but of corse preganant women and toddlers are the exception (lead paint taests nice and sweet babys love to suck sills as they look out the window).

The doctor will be no use to you, as the levels in your blood would be so low, i think the home test kit would be the way to go, but really if it had of been lead paint you would have been suffering more than the odd headache by now.

Sponsored Links
The doctor will be no use to you, as the levels in your blood would be so low, i think the home test kit would be the way to go
I find it very difficult to accept that you get better health information from a DIY kit than from your doctor.

And anyway you need advice about your child and pregnant wife.

Also to clean up the residue. This includes your overalls (round here we had wives and families who suffered asbestosis from washing and ironing their husbands dockyard work clothes)

thank you both for you replys.

one thing that has come from this is after some research i was amazed to find lead can exist in toys also.

my young one has just inherited a box of metallic toy cars from family.
being thtat these are metal pianted cars i have now removd them as the majority end up in his mouth being chewed. it just isnt worth the risk.

i feel very well in myself and any damager done cannot be avoided as the job virtually compelte anyway. that being the case i'm of to b&q to buy a 3quid lead tester today to absolutely sure i have the facts.

once again thanks for you input.

sorry if i sounded callous, certainly go see a professional if thats what you want to do. im sure peace of mind is invaluable when you have a young family.

i was just speaking from personal experience when i went to my doctor, with suspected lead poisoning, and she basically told me to stop being a big girls blouse and get out of her office (maybe i need a new doctor)

i think if you haven't noticed any side effects and the test kit comes back negative, i dont see the point in going to the doctor - but whatever helps you sleep at night.

on a side note, the counterfeit £1 pound coins are also made of lead then painted gold. My aunt used to give them to her children to use as counters for board games. not the greatest idea in the world lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back